Celery up and (almost) running

Well, I was beginning to think the celery seeds would never sprout. You should've seen how tiny the seeds were when I first planted them. Just about microscopic! Now there are several little celery plants so I have high hopes there will a celery crop in our garden this year.

This is the first year I've even tried planting celery and you know me, I love a challenge. This variety is 'Tango' and it's supposed to do especially well in northern climates. I'm just going to grow about a dozen plants.

Prior to planting them, I kept thinking celery would be a cool-season crop. Doesn't it seem like that would be the case? But it turns out they are a warm-season crop so you have to wait until all danger of frost is past -- usually around mid-May -- before planting them out in the garden.

I planted these seeds on March 15 so that should give them a head start by the time they get to go out into the real world. Oh, and in case you're wondering what the pony packs above are resting on, it's part of an old seed-starting kit of mine. There is a sheet of capillary mat that dips down into a large reservoir of water. This is a great way to keep the soil evenly moist and dramatically cuts down on the number of times I have to worry about watering them.

I'll keep you posted on how they do...