Travel stories: Gardens in Europe, part 2



Here's the next installment of my tales of visiting gardens during our recent trip to Europe:

While in Brussels, my husband Bill and I did a ton of walking because we wanted to explore as much of the city as possible. One day, we walked to the Parc du Cinquantenaire (pronounced "san-khan-ten-AIR") and spotted this bed that had obviously been tidied up for the fall. But what I liked was the retaining "wall" made of woven willow branches. We've seen this technique used in gardens all over Europe and I keep thinking I need to do something along these lines in my garden. I'm not sure what was growing up into the center supports but it must've looked cool! I also love all of the red geraniums. I wonder if they will winter-over or bite the dust if they get a hard frost?

In the park, I also saw something interesting (photo to left): there was an allee of trees that they were training to grow in an espaliered pattern through the use of bamboo stakes tied to the tree branches in a grid form. I did my best to capture this in the photo and hope you can make out what I'm referring to! That would be a simple method for training tree branches to grow in a certain pattern or design. Remember that you can click on the photo to see a larger, more detailed view of it.


And last but not least (photo to right), we also came across this demonstration garden right in the middle of the city. Unfortunately, the few signs we saw were in French so I'm not sure what the story was behind it. It didn't seem to be a community garden but they were primarily growing herbs in it and as you can see, they had used a bamboo trellis for vining plants on one end. It was just so neat to stumble across little gardens here and there and get ideas from them.