What: Cabin Fever Gardening Symposium
When: Monday, Feb. 17, 2014 (President's Day) from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: WSU/Spokane campus, Phase 1 classroom building, 668 N. Spokane Falls Blvd.
Details: Registration includes continental breakfast, keynote presentation by Cass Turnbull*, your choice of
4 gardening classes, catered lunch, parking pass and door prize entries. It is a bargain and a full day of fun!
Cost: $75 (or $65 for 2014 Master Gardener Foundation of Spokane County members)
I wanted to let you know about a fabulous garden event coming up that you won't want to miss. It's the 2014 Cabin Fever Gardening Symposium, sponsored by the WSU/Spokane County Master Gardeners and the Master Gardener Foundation of Spokane County. This is an annual event that takes place on President's Day which is Feb. 17 this year.
You will have the opportunity to choose 4 gardening classes that are of interest to you. I'll be teaching the "Successful (and Easy!) Organic Gardening with Cultural Practices" class which I'm hoping to make both fun and really educational at the same time! There are so many simple things we can do to grow a garden organically and I'm excited to share this information with you.
Here are the class topics you can choose from (one per each of the 4 sessions below):
- Permaculture (Jennifer Wengeler)
- Gardening for Health (Cathi Lamoreaux)
- Landscaping with Foliage (Vi Tiegs)
- Bugs: The Good Guys... and Bad (Jan Baker)
10:45 a.m.-12 noon
- Raising Chickens (Paul and Susan Puhnek)
- Pollinators (Jennifer Wengeler)
- Renovation of the Landscape (Cass Turnbull)
- Deer and Vermin Control (Mark Stiltz)
- Successful (and Easy!) Organic Gardening with Cultural Practices (Susan Mulvihill)
- Backyard Party: Catering to Critters (Jennifer Tiegs)
- Container Vegetable Gardening (Marilyn Lloyd)
- Panel Discussion: Experiences with Grafted Tomatoes
- 3 Sisters: The Native American Way (Kris Moberg-Hendron)
- Garden Splendor for Every Season (Janis Saiki)
- The Joy of Herbs From Your Garden to the Kitchen (Roberto, Corkscrew Catering)
- Panel Discussion: Maintaining Motivation as Spring Enthusiasm Turns Into Work
To read descriptions of the above classes, click here
. To register, go here
*To learn more about Cass Turnbull, founder of Plant Amnesty, go to their web site
. She is a fantastic, and very funny, speaker.
I hope you can go. This is such a fun day. I'm looking forward to it and hoping to see you there!