Seed-starting update

This is what an okra seedling looks like! Nice root system.

I thought you might be interested to know how my seed-starting project is coming along, mainly so you know the timing of starting certain seeds indoors. Here's an update:

Artichokes: Started on March 1st, transplanted into pots about a week ago. Plants looking great!

Basil: I started a few indoors just for fun but intend to plant the bulk of the seeds directly in the garden in late May.

Beans, bush and pole: I'll plant them indoors about May 1st and transplant them into the garden about May 15th.

Beets: Will be planted directly in the garden around mid-April.

Cabbage: I just planted them indoors today as I forgot to plant them at the end of March. Still plenty of time, though.

Carrots: Will be planted directly in the garden around mid-April.
Tomato and artichoke seedlings are coming along.

Celery: I plants them indoors about March 15th; they have true leaves now and I transplanted them into larger pony packs today; I won't plant them in the garden until mid-May.

Chard: Will be planted directly in the garden around mid-April.

Cilantro: Will be planted directly in the garden around mid-May.

Corn***: Will plant them indoors around May 1st and transplant into the garden in mid-May.

Cucumber***: Will plant them indoors around May 1st and transplant into the garden in mid-May.

Leeks: I planted them indoors on March 1st and am giving them "haircuts" once a week so they focus on developing a good root system.

Okra***: I planted them indoors on April 15 and just transplanted them into larger pots today. They'll go into the garden in mid-May. By the way, I started them in those seed plugs I wrote about recently ("Seed Starting Update, Part 2") and the top photo shows you the root system they have already.

Parsnips: Will plant them indoors in mid-April.

Peppers***: I planted them indoors on March 15th and transplanted them into larger pots today. They'll go into the garden in mid-May.

Pumpkins***: Will plant them indoors around May 1st and transplant into the garden in mid-May.

Young tomatoes sitting next to a sunny window.
Salad greens: Will plant them directly in the garden in mid-April.

Spinach: Will plant them directly in the garden in mid-April.

Squash, winter and summer***: Will plant them indoors around May 1st and transplant into the garden in mid-May.

Tomatillos***: I planted them indoors on March 15th and transplanted them into larger pots today. They'll go into the garden near the end of May.

Tomatoes***: I planted them indoors on March 15th and transplanted them into larger pots today. They'll go into the garden in mid-May.

*** Keep in mind that I will be giving all warm-season crops frost protection in the early days and watching the weather forecasts like a hawk!