Aug. 17 column

Can you believe it's the middle of August already? It's time for another of my columns in The Spokesman-Review: Ornamental grasses add winter interest. Today's topic was a request from one of my Master Gardener friends and colleagues: ornamental grasses that provide some interest in the landscape during the colder months of the year.

If you live in the Inland Northwest or any other northern climate, things can start to look a little bleak going into the winter months. By carefully selecting different perennials, shrubs and trees, you can add texture, movement and beauty to your garden during the fall and winter months.

In today's column, I highlight six different ornamental grasses that I feel are real winners. Hope you'll enjoy reading about them and perhaps be inspired to try one or two.

Thank you for the suggestion, Denise!

If you ever have an idea for a topic, just drop me an email at inthegarden@live.com and I'll do my best to add it to my schedule.