Here's something fun that's come across my desk: the Tomato Chooser App from Mother Earth News. And as you'd guess, it's available in the Apple App store.
If you are really into growing tomatoes and are always on the search for just the right variety, this just might be what you're looking for.
Here's what it will do, according to a press release from Ogden Publications:
- search 333 varieties by size, color, disease resistances, yield, cold and heat tolerance, open-pollinated vs. hybrid, days to maturity, and growth habit.
- find the best varieties for canning, making paste and sauce, drying, and winter storage.
- combat tomato diseases common to their location by finding varieties that show resistance (and learn the symptoms for six common diseases).
- see a summary of all the key characteristics of each variety — and narrow their search by which varieties have been rated as having exceptional flavor according to tomato experts.
- mark varieties as favorites, to reference later.
- read expert growing guides from Mother Earth News.
- peruse quotes from tomato experts about many of the varieties profiled.
The app costs $1.99 and will work on iPhones, iPads and iPods.