Announcement: "The Northwest Gardener's Handbook"

I have some exciting news for you: my dear friend and colleague Pat Munts and I have written a book! It is called The Northwest Gardener's Handbook and will be in bookstores as of Jan. 15, 2015.

It will be published by Cool Springs Press and covers all of Washington and Oregon, southern British Columbia and a bit of northern California.

But don't let that or the title put you off! As a longtime gardener in Eastern Wash., I know what it's like to read Pacific Northwest garden books that focus on weather conditions we don't deal with and list plants that we can't grow.

In my humble opinion, The Northwest Gardener's Handbook does a great job of addressing our LOCAL gardening conditions and challenges. And even better, 89% of the plants profiled in the book will grow in zone 5 or below!

Here's what you'll find in the book:

One of the things I'm really excited about, and proud of, is that there are nearly 100 of my photos in the book. I just love photographing gardens so I'm hoping my enthusiasm comes through in the photos you'll see on the pages.

Pat and I will be giving talks and doing book signings at various gardening events both in the Spokane area, and in Seattle and Portland. Be sure to keep an eye on this blog's calendar so you can come say hello. I've already started penciling in some dates.

I hope you will share in our excitement and enthusiasm for this, our first book. Yes, it was a great deal of work and books take quite a while to produce, but Pat and I are very pleased with the finished product. We hope you will be, too.