June 21 column


Here is a link to today's column in The Spokesman-Review:Cultivating community Cultivating community. Throughout the summer months, I enjoy profiling local gardeners and the beautiful gardens they've created.

Today is my first such profile is on Master Gardener and Peaceful Valley resident, Carol Bryan. She was kind enough to allow me to traipse through her garden!

She has a lovely front-yard garden and has spread the joy of gardening in her neighborhood, which I think is terrific!

To the above left is part of her raised-bed vegetable, berry and herb garden. To the right is a view from her upstairs porch, where you can see the parking strips along the street that she has been very active in planting.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that we can all learn from each other and it's interesting seeing how others are growing a garden. I hope you'll enjoy hearing what makes Carol tick and what her approach to gardening is.