Community garden in Vienna


I've recently returned from a wonderful trip to Vienna, Budapest and Prague. As you can probably guess, I was keeping my eyes open for interesting gardens to visit the whole time.

But sometimes, my husband and I would stumble upon something unexpected. That was the case while in Vienna. One day, we spied what looked like a community garden and instantly changed course!

It was called "Karl's Garten" and was unlike most I've seen. In addition to raised beds, we enjoyed seeing their demonstration areas that showed the different types of materials they used both for their raised beds and the soil they filled them with.

I noticed they were growing tomatoes in straw-filled wire cylinders and potatoes in gunny sacks.

I've included a lot of photos with this post; remember that you can click on any of them for a larger, more detailed view.

I liked how they put together clusters of differently-configured raised beds in which they were growing herbs and veggies.






Another item you might find interesting is their seating "units" constructed from pallets. That would be a fun DYI project, don't you think? They were very popular with the locals.

I loved seeing their insect hotels as well. Here are photos of 3 different styles:



If you speak some German, or even if you don't, you might enjoy going to their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/KarlsGarten. It's interesting to see more photos of the garden and learn about events they sponsor. I'm sure Karl's Garten is a valuable addition to the downtown community.