Aug. 30 column

Helenium (a.k.a. Sneezeweed)
Here is a link to my column in today's edition of The Spokesman-Review: Low-water wonders. The topic is drought-tolerant plants, which I felt would be of interest to anyone who has been dealing with the heat and drought of this summer.

It's always a good idea to use drought-tolerant plants in our landscapes in order to conserve water. Oftentimes, when gardeners hear the words "drought-tolerant," they think that limits their options or that the plants won't be very attractive. Fortunately, that's not the case at all!

I've included photos of the various plants I mentioned in my article below. The photo above is of another plant I didn't have room for. Helenium, more commonly known as Sneezeweed (not the greatest name, I'll admit!) blooms like crazy and really can take the heat.

I hope you will find this column interesting and useful as you choose plants for your garden.

Rudbeckia hirta Gloriosa Daisy

Sedum 'Autumn Joy'

Flowering Sempervivum (Hens 'n Chicks)

Calendula (Pot Marigold)

Persian Carpet Zinnia

Achillea (Yarrow) 

Agastache (Hummingbird Mint, Hyssop)

Calamagrostis acutiflora (Karl Foerster Feather Reed Grass)