Sept. 13 column

The summer hoop house
 Here is a link to my column in today's edition of The Spokesman-Review: Hoop house gets year-round use.

You'll recall that my husband, Bill, and I built a small hoop house in our garden last fall for the purpose of growing some salad greens through the fall and winter months.

Well, I decided that it should be dual-purpose by using it to grow some heat-loving crops (tomatoes, cucumbers and melons) during the summer months.

This is where we moved the hoop house early this spring.
In my column, I report how that went and also talk about the cold-tolerant crops I'll be growing in the hoop house later this year.

I hope you're not getting tired of this subject! I'm just so excited with the idea of growing salad greens to enjoy over the next several months.

If you are doing this as well, I would love to hear from you. Please drop me a note at inthegarden@live.com.