Overwintering canna lily bulbs: Update #1



This fall, for the very first time, I decided to learn how to overwinter canna lily bulbs. After all, I grow them most years in my deck pots but at the end of the season, out they go to the compost pile. (yes, I'm ashamed to admit this)

While I went through the steps, I shot a video on how to overwinter them. Here's a link to the video on my YouTube channel, in case you missed it.

I'm storing the bulbs in paper grocery sacks filled with shredded paper. It's important to check on the bulbs once a month over the winter to make sure they're not shriveling up or developing mold.

This morning, I did the first bulb check and am pleased to report they're looking good. I didn't see any mold and, as you can see from the photos, the bulbs are plump (that's a botanical term, right?) and there are even some new tips growing. Hooray!


If you are also overwintering cannas for the first time, be sure to mark your calendar to check them each month. That way, if there's a problem going on with one of the bulbs, you're right on top of it before it spreads to the other bulbs.

I'll do another update in January. Happy gardening!