Perennials - Daylilies






One of the perkiest perennials that is in bloom all over town right now is the daylily (Hemerocallis). I have several different cultivars growing in my garden and am always on the lookout for interesting new varieties.

The red one is 'Chicago Apache' and the grape-colored one is 'Strutter's Ball'. I don't recall the name of the peach or orange cultivars but their blossoms are breathtaking. I always plant new additions to my garden with their name tags but the birds in my garden frequently remove them, making their name lost forever to me. (I hate it when that happens.)

Daylilies love the sun and are tough as nails. They grow in clumps that should be divided every few years. Some of mine are growing in enormous clumps that seem way too daunting to tackle but I suppose I should bite the bullet this fall and get it done.